Thursday, October 10, 2013

Wish I Could Do That

Handmade Artists Forum's second week of the fall Blog Ring has as its theme "Wish I Could Do That."  The featured artists are participants in the forum, three of them have shops outside of the Handmade Artists domain.  This is one of the features of Handmade Artists venue that makes it unique, you can be an active member and participant in our community and you do not have to have a shop withing the community.  This is a variation that the other venues do not allow.  Follow the imbedded link  above to reach Handmade Artists venue entrance page.  Our shops, the Forum, the HA Blog and Highlights are all available to people from the entrance page.  We are a diverse group of artists with a wide variety of genres and skills.

My first artist is Colette of Collette Collection is a wire wrapping artist.  Of the group this week, she is the most difficult for me to select as I also do wire wrapping.  However, my wish is that I could weave wire as well as she does.  Her creations are much more complicated than mine.  Most of her art is in the wire work, and she produces fantastic pieces as seen here.  This piece is made in copper wire with turquoise as the featured stone.  Absolutely fantastic work and design. 




The second artist this week is Larissa of Reef Botanicals.  Larissa is a multi-talented lady who does
many different crafts and art.  She is also a lawyer.  I am featuring her candle making ability this week.  Here again is a skill that I am totally lacking.  Many years ago (more than 50), I tried to make candles with my mother.  OOPS.....I am really good at setting things on fire, even with a water/steam boiler to melt parafin.  I would probably make a great arsonist, instead I was a firefighter.  Here is a ginger and peach combination in a set of candles for the home.  Larissa's shop is also one that is outside of Handmade Artists venue.

I should mention as we get to number three, that the order has no relevance as to ability or my opinion of the artist or their work.  Filling in the slot for number three on this hit parade is April of the Brooklyn Bead Goddess.  Here is a person after part of my own heart, she uses fire to make her lampwork beads, and then uses her beads to create jewelry art. 
For anyone outside the genre, Jewelry is wearable art.
April's creations are quite unique one of a kind items.  She features multiple shapes and colors as well as textures of the beads she uses.  Here is one of her many creations featured in her shop.

Next in the line of artists is Debbie of the Yankee Burrow Creations.  She is the last of the artists who maintain a shop outside of our venue.  Here is a person who creates with yarn and other substances to knit her way into my heart.  This pair of bears is just a perfect example of her art.  When I have tried to knit, yes, males do try this.  I found out just how difficult knitting is.  And my mother used to sit and knit while talking, watching TV, playing cards and many other activities.  Even when I concentrate, I can not knit.  My hat is off to Debbie, she makes fantastic pieces.

 Lisa at Uniqlets has mastered the world of "Steampunk."  In this genre, the artists takes pieces of watches, and other items and repurposes them into unique pieces of wearable or display art.  In this piece, Lisa features a Caterpillar tractor.  Near my home is a CAT assembly plant.  I taught a safety class for them several years ago, so that had a bit to do with my selection process in her shop.  The people who can see a design from used materials are doing something that I just can not do.  This visualization is beyond my capabilities.  Lisa does this with a beautiful end product.  Enjoy.





Pam at Bead Thing also produced a small dilemma for me, as my wife does bead work.  Since I don't, ok, here is something that I don't do.  Technically, I guess I could, but again, designing the pattern within the bead work takes too much concentration for me.  So, I really settled the matter by selecting a knitted piece that Pam produced.  Now I really know I can't do this.  As I already explained, knitting is just too complicated for me.  And to produce a beautiful piece like this scarf is.......

Last on my list this week is Monika from My European Touch.  Monika has a great background for her shop name, she lived in Europe.  She brings a great continental influence to her work.  She features reworked porcelain pitchers, platters and other food servers.  She takes the original piece and then adds additional features to emphasize the beauty of the original piece.  This platter is a great example of the art that she produces.

These are just a few of the fantastic artists and craft people that offer their work at Handmade Artists Forum.  We invite all to look through our shops, stop into the forum and add comments/posts/questions for the shops and artists.  We also have an open chat through the forum link every Thursday evening at 2030 hours Eastern US time.  Please feel free to stop in and chat with us any Thursday.  Until next week, I remain, Yours Truly, John (Rasmussen Gems and Jewelry LLC)




6 comments:

  1. Great post, John - love your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this feature post....and I love HAF. :0) Thank you!
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, John. Thanks for your kind words about my Seampunk work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post John, thanks for sharing one of my creations

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, wonderful job capturing the talent in Handmade Artists Shop.
    Thank you!

    April

    ReplyDelete