Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Brooklyn Bead Goddess -- Handmade Artist of the Week

My name is April (BrooklynBeadGoddess). I am a glass bead maker and jewelry designer. Born and raised in Brooklyn, New York gives me the style and flair unique to my jewelry. I've always been intrigued with glass. When I was young I remember seeing glass artists along the Coney Island boardwalk. I loved seeing the sparkling delicate sculptures they made. Today I am pleased create my own glass beads and incorporate them in my jewelry designing. I use a technique called "lampworking" to make my glass beads.

Lampwork is used to describe handcrafted glass beads that are made by melting glass rods with a torch. The word "lamp" was used in ancient times when the glass was melted with the flame of an oil lamp. Today the craft is also called "flameworking".
Each glass bead is individually hand crafted by heating a glass rod in the flame of an oxygen and natural gas mixed gas torch. The hot glass is melted and applied to a steel rod. I'm open to whatever glass I can experiment with. Lately I'm using German Lauscha, Italian glass Effetre/Moretti, Vetrofond and Creation is Messy. I enjoy learning from and making friends with other artists. Being involved in the art world has always been my passion.
Making glass beads takes time and patience. Mostly it takes practice, practice and more practice. That's what keeps me focused. There is always something new to learn.

I hope my work brings as much joy to you as it does for me.

 Alice's work is so terrific.  I copied her biography from her shop profile as I could not tell the story better.  Lampwork is so difficult for me to even think about.  I have seen a lamp worker craft beads, and it is so fantastic to see the process.  While you visit her shop, please feel free to look at the other handmade artists shops.  Much more than just jewelry is offered at Handmade Artists.

7 comments:

  1. Great picks and you are right, difficult to write about her, she did it so well. Great pics too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post John! Oh I would love to watch someone make beads - would really love to get into it myself! Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Those lamp-work beads are fascinating and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post John! Her work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow your items are awesome!!! So happy to be a follower now!!!

    ReplyDelete